Wednesday, September 11, 2013

FINDING YOUR HOMECOMING STYLE

Planning and preparation for homecoming is well under way the united states and Europe, and it's your opportunity to produce a great impression, so make the most of it. But don't take it too seriously! This night should be all about fun memories. Luckily homecoming style has evolved past mid-calf skirt suits and giant corsages and these days we're free to present ourselves as... ourselves! I can recall once needing two pink homecoming dresses weekend back in Europe and it was tough enough to find one I really liked, never mind a second. I wound up with two strapless dresses; one was pink with a full tulle skirt and made me look like a fairy princess, and the other was bright green green and the top was so tight i always couldn't take a breath fully.

 (I don't know how this has been even possible, I was a twiglet and really had nothing to fill it! )#) Why then did I buy them? There was so little choice at the time i always had to buy whatever fit, and one didn't even fit! And they wasn't cheap, especially the second one. I paid a lot to suffocate all night and walk around with the profile of an ironing board! Fortunately we're now pampered for choice, and we're not limited to a particular prom or homecoming style, we can wear what looks great on us, in whatever colour, fabric or cut and still be appropriately and terifficly presented. And that means we can also use them for other occasions.

Cocomelody is a great place to start your search as there are literally hundreds of different styles to choose from, something to suit each personality and preference. These are some of my favourite homecoming dresses: I tend to go for more demure and classic styles that less dense and aren't likely to date too quickly, and I threw within the last few one as a restrained ode to my fairy princess style which might look adorable on a young reveller. As for hairstyles, one of the advantages to buying your dress online is that you can observe the model is kind of, and if you like the hair you can show your hairdresser the photo on your phone and take the guesswork out of whether it will work with your dress.

 Also, pay attention to red carpet critiques : have you noticed that many times it's not the dress that lets down the star but her hairdo? Scanning the looks from an event can give you great ideas for what to do and what not to do. And the same is rue shoes, clutch and accessories. For the latter I go with the rule that less is more : you don't always desire a necklace and great bracelets are many times all you need to finish your lifestyle. And hey, if you're able to air comfortably all night you're much further ahead than I was!

No comments:

Post a Comment